Veterans Benefits FAQs

  1. How long will it take the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to pay me?

  2. The VA determines eligibility for benefits and the average days to process a claim varies depending on the workload of the VA Regional Office. For status of your application you may call the VA at 1.888.442.4551. Once you are approved for a benefit, the VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility that you take to the school and once the school certifies your enrollment you will get paid, by the VA, the 1st of the month during the term you are enrolled. Your payments will be pro-rated based on your enrollment status and start and end dates of the term.

  3. Will the Department of Veterans Affairs pay for courses that are not in my major program?

  4. Normally, federal law prohibits payment for courses that do not lead to a student's educational objective. Students may be paid for a course not in his or her major program under certain circumstances:
    • If it is a valid prerequisite for a course that is required in your major program.
    • A student may enroll in more than 12 semester hours. The Department of Veterans Affairs pays full-time benefits for 12 or more semester hours. If a student enrolls in 12 semester hours which are in the major program, he or she may enroll in additional hours which do not have to be in the major program.
    • A student may obtain a Letter of Substitution from the department for a course which may be substituted for a course that is required in the major program.
    • On a Student's final graduating semester, if the student is enrolled in at least one course that is required in the major program, he or she may enroll in courses which do not have to be in the major program for the purpose of rounding-out to full-time.

  5. How can I contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?

  6. The Department of Veterans can be reached via the Internet at or by phone at:
    • For educational benefits: 1.888.442.4551
    • For other VA benefits: 1.800.827.1000

  7. What happens if I drop a course?

  8. If a student withdraws after the school's drop period, the Department will reduce or stop benefits on the date of reduction. If the student is assigned a non-punitive ("W") grade, he or she may have to repay all benefits for the course unless there are mitigating circumstances (illness, illness or death in the immediate family, changes in employment, or lack of child care).
    • The first time a student withdraws from up to six (6) credit hours, the Department of Veterans Affairs will "excuse" the withdrawal and pay benefits for the period attended.
    • If a student completes the term and receives a grade for a course (other than remedial) that does not count toward graduation he or she may have to repay all benefits for the course.

  9. As a student eligible to utilize Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits can I also apply for Federal Financial Aid or Scholarships?

  10. Yes, receiving education benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs does not preclude you from also applying for financial aid or scholarships.

  11. Where do I request military records and transcripts?
  12. Military Transcripts

    Military Records

  13. How do I get my VA Education benefits started?

    • Veterans and service members
    • Spouse and Dependents
    • After completing the application, the VA will mail you the Certificate of Eligibility to take to the school so that the School Certifying Official can certify your enrollment and you can get paid by the VA. 


  15. I plan to transfer to a university to get my bachelor’s degree. I do not plan on getting a degree from TSC, why do I have to follow a TSC degree plan?

  16. According to the Veterans Administration, every student enrolled at TSC must follow a TSC degree plan to receive their benefits. Every semester, we recommend that you visit a counselor or an advisor who will assist you in selecting the correct degree plan to ensure that the classes you are taking for transfer will be covered. Therefore, it may be necessary to change your degree plan periodically in order to meet your overall transfer goals. Changing your degree plan will likely lead to a delay in the receipt of your benefits.

  17. Can I be eligible for two or more education benefits?

  18. Yes, you may be eligible for more than one VA education benefit program. However, you may only receive payments from one program at a time. You can receive a maximum of 48 months of benefits under any combination of VA education programs for which you qualify. 

  19. Can I use my Hazlewood with my VA educational Benefits?

  20. Yes, however, if you are receiving 100% eligibility benefits for Chapter 33 Post 9/11 or Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation, you are NOT eligible to use Hazelwood benefits simultaneously.
Last Updated on Monday, 27 November 2017 16:48